Inside 1705 North Oak Street
I’m the newest hire here at Fuel Interactive. I came from a journalism background and am now a part of the Internet Marketing team.
Coming from something totally outside of this field, there are a few things that struck me right away about the people who work at Fuel:
We <3 abbrev
During some of my first conversations with the Internet Marketing Team at Fuel, I caught myself nodding along as they talked about ROAS, PPC, CPC and more.
And then I had to ask the dreaded question at the end of the conversation that made it clear I had no idea what they were talking about: “What did you mean by ___ (fill in abbreviation here)?”
I don’t imagine this is something that’s unique just to us—a lot of people use “industry slang” – but I think it may come off worse from us since what we do and how we do it is hard to explain and our peppering of abbreviations doesn’t help.
So, if you’re talking with someone at Fuel and you find yourself nodding along while they spew out an alphabet soup of terms, politely interrupt and ask them to speak English.
FOOOOOD (and caffeine)
Maybe I’m just easily impressed, but when I saw the inside of the Fuel kitchen for the first time, I was blown away by the amount of soda and energy drinks in that fridge.
And then I turned around and almost got mauled by someone because I was between them and the fresh bread that was on the table.
Food, any kind of food, goes really quick here.
I brought in a dozen donuts on my second day and they were gone literally before I could send out an e-mail to everyone saying they were on the kitchen table.
We also have conversations about where we’re going to lunch starting right after everyone sits down at their desks to start their morning.
I guess we work up an appetite being awesome.
Smart, but dumb
The people here are some of the smartest people I’ve met and some can do magic as far as I’m concerned. But that doesn’t stop them from having face-palm moments from time to time.
From mangling conversational English to needing a GPS to get from the office back home, we all have had some moments that aren’t our best (myself included).
But laughing at ourselves and each other is part of what I think keeps the people here sane.
- Around the Analytics World February Wrap-up Sat, February 28, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Hotel Robot Staff, Towel Crime Fighting, and Rent your own Island! Fri, February 20, 2015
- Friday Fuel: OTA Takeovers & Movie Makeovers Fri, February 13, 2015
- The Southeast’s Most Romantic Travel Destinations Wed, February 11, 2015
- Friday Fuel: 50 Shades of Awesome Fri, February 06, 2015
- Around the Analytics World January Wrap-up Mon, February 02, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Release the WiFi, Meet Castro, and 7 more exciting links! Fri, January 30, 2015
- The Basics to Facebook Advertising Tue, January 27, 2015
- Facebook Marketing For Hotels Fri, January 23, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Better Late Than Never Edition Mon, January 19, 2015
- Around the Analytics World December Wrap-up Wed, December 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: MOAR MOBILE. And More. Fri, December 19, 2014
- The Hotel SERP Real Estate Game Mon, December 08, 2014
- The 2014 Top 5 “Must Have” Techie Gift Guide Tue, December 02, 2014
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014