Inside 1705 North Oak Street
I’m the newest hire here at Fuel Interactive. I came from a journalism background and am now a part of the Internet Marketing team.
Coming from something totally outside of this field, there are a few things that struck me right away about the people who work at Fuel:
We <3 abbrev
During some of my first conversations with the Internet Marketing Team at Fuel, I caught myself nodding along as they talked about ROAS, PPC, CPC and more.
And then I had to ask the dreaded question at the end of the conversation that made it clear I had no idea what they were talking about: “What did you mean by ___ (fill in abbreviation here)?”
I don’t imagine this is something that’s unique just to us—a lot of people use “industry slang” – but I think it may come off worse from us since what we do and how we do it is hard to explain and our peppering of abbreviations doesn’t help.
So, if you’re talking with someone at Fuel and you find yourself nodding along while they spew out an alphabet soup of terms, politely interrupt and ask them to speak English.
FOOOOOD (and caffeine)
Maybe I’m just easily impressed, but when I saw the inside of the Fuel kitchen for the first time, I was blown away by the amount of soda and energy drinks in that fridge.
And then I turned around and almost got mauled by someone because I was between them and the fresh bread that was on the table.
Food, any kind of food, goes really quick here.
I brought in a dozen donuts on my second day and they were gone literally before I could send out an e-mail to everyone saying they were on the kitchen table.
We also have conversations about where we’re going to lunch starting right after everyone sits down at their desks to start their morning.
I guess we work up an appetite being awesome.
Smart, but dumb
The people here are some of the smartest people I’ve met and some can do magic as far as I’m concerned. But that doesn’t stop them from having face-palm moments from time to time.
From mangling conversational English to needing a GPS to get from the office back home, we all have had some moments that aren’t our best (myself included).
But laughing at ourselves and each other is part of what I think keeps the people here sane.
- Friday Fuel: Nooks, Bings and Cyborg Moths Oh My! Fri, August 22, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: July 2014 Thu, August 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: The Robot Sharknado Edition Fri, August 01, 2014
- Around the Analytics World July Wrap-up Thu, July 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: In-App Purchases, New SHIELD Tablet, How Adblock Can Protect You, and More Fri, July 25, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Google+ Gets Better, Microsoft’s Nokia Changes, Amazon Releases, Tesla’s Reveal & More! Fri, July 18, 2014
- Are You CASL Compliant? Wed, July 16, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Google, Amazon, and the Worlds Largest Flying Bird Fri, July 11, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: June 2014 Fri, July 11, 2014
- 4th of July Fireworks Photography Guide Wed, July 02, 2014
- Around the Analytics World June Wrap-up Mon, June 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Link Removal in Europe, Package Delivering Drones are Illegal, and More Fri, June 27, 2014
- Friday Fuel: We Didn’t Start The Fire, The Government Starts To Wake Up, Facebook Shenanigans & More Fri, June 20, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Priceline & OpenTable, Netflix & Verizon, and Google & Virgin Fri, June 13, 2014
- Creating a Customized Navigation in Adobe SiteCatalyst Fri, June 13, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: May 2014 Wed, June 11, 2014
- Friday Fuel: OS Updates & Net Neutrality Nonsense Fri, June 06, 2014
- Around the Analytics World May Wrap-up Fri, May 30, 2014