At Look at Session-Based Broad Match in AdWords
Last week the Wall Street Journal published an article addressing the subject of session-based broad match in Google AdWords. The author covered anecdotal claims of AdWords users losing money over these unwanted clicks. Google defends themselves in the article stating that "session-based clicks in the broad match category perform comparably to non-session-based clicks."
Session-Based Broad Match Explained
When determining which ads to show on a Google search result page, the AdWords system evaluates search queries performed by a user during both previous and current internet sessions. If the system detects any correlations in the two search sessions, it will show ads related to these other queries, too.
Is Session-Based Broad Match an Issue?
How to Overcome Session-Based Broad Match
- Use Other Match Types - Broad match has it's place in pay per click advertising. If you're researching the niche, looking for new keywords, or branding, broad match keywords are a great place to start. If you're looking for highly targeted traffic, though, use other match types. Exact, phrase, and even modified broad match keywords will provide more targeted and relevant traffic.
- Negative Keywords - If you decide to use broad match keywords, be generous in your use of negative keywords. Negative keywords act as a filter for the topics that are completely unrelated to your business. If you are a rental car company, use negative keywords like "sales", "for sale", or "buy" when using broad match to make sure your site doesn't show to users searching for car sales.
- Device Types And How They Are Being Used Mon, September 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Silence is a luxury, another OTA hits the scene, and Microsoft shows its dongle. Fri, September 26, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Google Knows What You’re Watching, Data Breaches, And The Tiniest Hotels Ever Fri, September 19, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: August 2014 Thu, September 18, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Robo Butlers, Chilly Cruise Ships, and Windows 9 Fri, September 12, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Turn Down For Tech Fri, September 05, 2014
- Around the Analytics World August Wrap-up Fri, September 05, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Amazon Twitched, Apple Teases, and China Levels Up Fri, August 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Nooks, Bings and Cyborg Moths Oh My! Fri, August 22, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: July 2014 Thu, August 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: The Robot Sharknado Edition Fri, August 01, 2014
- Around the Analytics World July Wrap-up Thu, July 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: In-App Purchases, New SHIELD Tablet, How Adblock Can Protect You, and More Fri, July 25, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Google+ Gets Better, Microsoft’s Nokia Changes, Amazon Releases, Tesla’s Reveal & More! Fri, July 18, 2014
- Are You CASL Compliant? Wed, July 16, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Google, Amazon, and the Worlds Largest Flying Bird Fri, July 11, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: June 2014 Fri, July 11, 2014
- 4th of July Fireworks Photography Guide Wed, July 02, 2014