At Look at Session-Based Broad Match in AdWords
Last week the Wall Street Journal published an article addressing the subject of session-based broad match in Google AdWords. The author covered anecdotal claims of AdWords users losing money over these unwanted clicks. Google defends themselves in the article stating that "session-based clicks in the broad match category perform comparably to non-session-based clicks."
Session-Based Broad Match Explained
When determining which ads to show on a Google search result page, the AdWords system evaluates search queries performed by a user during both previous and current internet sessions. If the system detects any correlations in the two search sessions, it will show ads related to these other queries, too.
Is Session-Based Broad Match an Issue?
How to Overcome Session-Based Broad Match
- Use Other Match Types - Broad match has it's place in pay per click advertising. If you're researching the niche, looking for new keywords, or branding, broad match keywords are a great place to start. If you're looking for highly targeted traffic, though, use other match types. Exact, phrase, and even modified broad match keywords will provide more targeted and relevant traffic.
- Negative Keywords - If you decide to use broad match keywords, be generous in your use of negative keywords. Negative keywords act as a filter for the topics that are completely unrelated to your business. If you are a rental car company, use negative keywords like "sales", "for sale", or "buy" when using broad match to make sure your site doesn't show to users searching for car sales.
- Around the Analytics World February Wrap-up Sat, February 28, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Hotel Robot Staff, Towel Crime Fighting, and Rent your own Island! Fri, February 20, 2015
- Friday Fuel: OTA Takeovers & Movie Makeovers Fri, February 13, 2015
- The Southeast’s Most Romantic Travel Destinations Wed, February 11, 2015
- Friday Fuel: 50 Shades of Awesome Fri, February 06, 2015
- Around the Analytics World January Wrap-up Mon, February 02, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Release the WiFi, Meet Castro, and 7 more exciting links! Fri, January 30, 2015
- The Basics to Facebook Advertising Tue, January 27, 2015
- Facebook Marketing For Hotels Fri, January 23, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Better Late Than Never Edition Mon, January 19, 2015
- Around the Analytics World December Wrap-up Wed, December 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: MOAR MOBILE. And More. Fri, December 19, 2014
- The Hotel SERP Real Estate Game Mon, December 08, 2014
- The 2014 Top 5 “Must Have” Techie Gift Guide Tue, December 02, 2014
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014