Client/Agency Relations: Communication is Key
Last week we had a client contact one of our specialists, angry that their site was not showing up for a certain keyword. The irony of this anecdote is that, internally, we were celebrating the fact that the specialist on this account had managed to get the site ranked on some fairly competitive geo keywords in a very short amount of time. The call was a good reminder about one of the aspects of agency SEO that is sometimes overlooked: client management.
- Explaining things in layman's terms. Don't use jargon or fluff in your reports, just tell it like it is.
- Being transparent. If something happens, either positive or negative, let your client know, but explain it as well. By giving a valid explanation, it educates the client and could prevent future misunderstandings.
- Communicating often. Again, I stress that you're offering a service for someone. A person. The more you talk to them, the more trust they'll have in you. The more they trust you, the easier your job will be.
- Give them a list of topics to blog about. SEOs are always concerned with content. Let the experts (clients) do the work by providing them topics and target keywords.
- Identify guest blogging opportunities for them. One of the best ways to leverage expertise for links is via guest blogging. If your client is willing to write, find them an outlet beyond their own site.
- Encourage them to provide a list of potential link opportunities. Although the client may not be in a position to effectively follow through on a link request, at least they can provide a list of high quality link opportunities for you to engage.
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Tinder for Hotels, Nano-Robot Scallops, and Virtual Balconies at Sea Fri, November 07, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: September 2014 Thu, October 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel - The Do’s and Don’ts of 2015, Hilton Rebrands Itself, TripAdvisor & Moon Travel Fri, October 24, 2014
- Is your Resort Talking to its Guests? Mon, October 13, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Hilton’s Big Sale, Last Minute Bookings, Hotel Reviews & Google News Fri, October 10, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Marriot Gets in Trouble & Mobile Payments Gain Momentum Fri, October 03, 2014
- Around the Analytics World September Wrap-up Tue, September 30, 2014
- Device Types And How They Are Being Used Mon, September 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Silence is a luxury, another OTA hits the scene, and Microsoft shows its dongle. Fri, September 26, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Google Knows What You’re Watching, Data Breaches, And The Tiniest Hotels Ever Fri, September 19, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: August 2014 Thu, September 18, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Robo Butlers, Chilly Cruise Ships, and Windows 9 Fri, September 12, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Turn Down For Tech Fri, September 05, 2014
- Around the Analytics World August Wrap-up Fri, September 05, 2014