Client/Agency Relations: Communication is Key
Last week we had a client contact one of our specialists, angry that their site was not showing up for a certain keyword. The irony of this anecdote is that, internally, we were celebrating the fact that the specialist on this account had managed to get the site ranked on some fairly competitive geo keywords in a very short amount of time. The call was a good reminder about one of the aspects of agency SEO that is sometimes overlooked: client management.
- Explaining things in layman's terms. Don't use jargon or fluff in your reports, just tell it like it is.
- Being transparent. If something happens, either positive or negative, let your client know, but explain it as well. By giving a valid explanation, it educates the client and could prevent future misunderstandings.
- Communicating often. Again, I stress that you're offering a service for someone. A person. The more you talk to them, the more trust they'll have in you. The more they trust you, the easier your job will be.
- Give them a list of topics to blog about. SEOs are always concerned with content. Let the experts (clients) do the work by providing them topics and target keywords.
- Identify guest blogging opportunities for them. One of the best ways to leverage expertise for links is via guest blogging. If your client is willing to write, find them an outlet beyond their own site.
- Encourage them to provide a list of potential link opportunities. Although the client may not be in a position to effectively follow through on a link request, at least they can provide a list of high quality link opportunities for you to engage.
- Friday Fuel: Hotel Robot Staff, Towel Crime Fighting, and Rent your own Island! Fri, February 20, 2015
- Friday Fuel: OTA Takeovers & Movie Makeovers Fri, February 13, 2015
- The Southeast’s Most Romantic Travel Destinations Wed, February 11, 2015
- Friday Fuel: 50 Shades of Awesome Fri, February 06, 2015
- Around the Analytics World January Wrap-up Mon, February 02, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Release the WiFi, Meet Castro, and 7 more exciting links! Fri, January 30, 2015
- The Basics to Facebook Advertising Tue, January 27, 2015
- Facebook Marketing For Hotels Fri, January 23, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Better Late Than Never Edition Mon, January 19, 2015
- Around the Analytics World December Wrap-up Wed, December 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: MOAR MOBILE. And More. Fri, December 19, 2014
- The Hotel SERP Real Estate Game Mon, December 08, 2014
- The 2014 Top 5 “Must Have” Techie Gift Guide Tue, December 02, 2014
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Tinder for Hotels, Nano-Robot Scallops, and Virtual Balconies at Sea Fri, November 07, 2014