Client/Agency Relations: Communication is Key
Last week we had a client contact one of our specialists, angry that their site was not showing up for a certain keyword. The irony of this anecdote is that, internally, we were celebrating the fact that the specialist on this account had managed to get the site ranked on some fairly competitive geo keywords in a very short amount of time. The call was a good reminder about one of the aspects of agency SEO that is sometimes overlooked: client management.
- Explaining things in layman's terms. Don't use jargon or fluff in your reports, just tell it like it is.
- Being transparent. If something happens, either positive or negative, let your client know, but explain it as well. By giving a valid explanation, it educates the client and could prevent future misunderstandings.
- Communicating often. Again, I stress that you're offering a service for someone. A person. The more you talk to them, the more trust they'll have in you. The more they trust you, the easier your job will be.
- Give them a list of topics to blog about. SEOs are always concerned with content. Let the experts (clients) do the work by providing them topics and target keywords.
- Identify guest blogging opportunities for them. One of the best ways to leverage expertise for links is via guest blogging. If your client is willing to write, find them an outlet beyond their own site.
- Encourage them to provide a list of potential link opportunities. Although the client may not be in a position to effectively follow through on a link request, at least they can provide a list of high quality link opportunities for you to engage.
- Friday Fuel: The Robot Sharknado Edition Fri, August 01, 2014
- Around the Analytics World July Wrap-up Thu, July 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: In-App Purchases, New SHIELD Tablet, How Adblock Can Protect You, and More Fri, July 25, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Google+ Gets Better, Microsoft’s Nokia Changes, Amazon Releases, Tesla’s Reveal & More! Fri, July 18, 2014
- Are You CASL Compliant? Wed, July 16, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Google, Amazon, and the Worlds Largest Flying Bird Fri, July 11, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: June 2014 Fri, July 11, 2014
- 4th of July Fireworks Photography Guide Wed, July 02, 2014
- Around the Analytics World June Wrap-up Mon, June 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Link Removal in Europe, Package Delivering Drones are Illegal, and More Fri, June 27, 2014
- Friday Fuel: We Didn’t Start The Fire, The Government Starts To Wake Up, Facebook Shenanigans & More Fri, June 20, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Priceline & OpenTable, Netflix & Verizon, and Google & Virgin Fri, June 13, 2014
- Creating a Customized Navigation in Adobe SiteCatalyst Fri, June 13, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: May 2014 Wed, June 11, 2014
- Friday Fuel: OS Updates & Net Neutrality Nonsense Fri, June 06, 2014
- Around the Analytics World May Wrap-up Fri, May 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Language Translation, Fighting Cyber Warfare, & Suspended Animation Fri, May 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Memorial Day Slacker Edition Fri, May 23, 2014