Google Implements New Local SERPs
Today, Google launched a totally new search result page (SERP) for keywords with local intent. The new layout sports a static map on the right sidebar and local results incorporated into the natural search results. Google began testing this layout back in the summer, but has now officially launched to all users.
Effects of the New Layout
What impact will this new layout have?
From a ntural search perspective, claiming and optimizing your local listings in Google is more important than ever. In many cases, local results take up most of the real estate on the SERP, edging out natural results. Also, if your site was ranking both naturally and locally, those results have been merged into on cohesive result. By having a quality local listing complete with information, media, and reviews, you can make sure your site is ranking well.
The new layout affects PPC as well. The static map on the right downplays the prominence of the ads along the side of the results page, while the pink background of the top ads stands out just enough from the natural results to draw your attention. This could lead to increased competition for those top ad positions, driving up CPC on keywords that trigger local results.
The new layout is definitly a bold move by Google. It significantly changes the way that users interact with both Google Places and AdWords ads. In the long run, any site that takes a well rounded approach to search marketing, integrating SEO, local optimization, and PPC, will continue to perform well.
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: September 2014 Thu, October 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel - The Do’s and Don’ts of 2015, Hilton Rebrands Itself, TripAdvisor & Moon Travel Fri, October 24, 2014
- Is your Resort Talking to its Guests? Mon, October 13, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Hilton’s Big Sale, Last Minute Bookings, Hotel Reviews & Google News Fri, October 10, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Marriot Gets in Trouble & Mobile Payments Gain Momentum Fri, October 03, 2014
- Around the Analytics World September Wrap-up Tue, September 30, 2014
- Device Types And How They Are Being Used Mon, September 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Silence is a luxury, another OTA hits the scene, and Microsoft shows its dongle. Fri, September 26, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Google Knows What You’re Watching, Data Breaches, And The Tiniest Hotels Ever Fri, September 19, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: August 2014 Thu, September 18, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Robo Butlers, Chilly Cruise Ships, and Windows 9 Fri, September 12, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Turn Down For Tech Fri, September 05, 2014
- Around the Analytics World August Wrap-up Fri, September 05, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Amazon Twitched, Apple Teases, and China Levels Up Fri, August 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Nooks, Bings and Cyborg Moths Oh My! Fri, August 22, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: July 2014 Thu, August 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: The Robot Sharknado Edition Fri, August 01, 2014
- Around the Analytics World July Wrap-up Thu, July 31, 2014