Google Implements New Local SERPs
Today, Google launched a totally new search result page (SERP) for keywords with local intent. The new layout sports a static map on the right sidebar and local results incorporated into the natural search results. Google began testing this layout back in the summer, but has now officially launched to all users.
Effects of the New Layout
What impact will this new layout have?
From a ntural search perspective, claiming and optimizing your local listings in Google is more important than ever. In many cases, local results take up most of the real estate on the SERP, edging out natural results. Also, if your site was ranking both naturally and locally, those results have been merged into on cohesive result. By having a quality local listing complete with information, media, and reviews, you can make sure your site is ranking well.
The new layout affects PPC as well. The static map on the right downplays the prominence of the ads along the side of the results page, while the pink background of the top ads stands out just enough from the natural results to draw your attention. This could lead to increased competition for those top ad positions, driving up CPC on keywords that trigger local results.
The new layout is definitly a bold move by Google. It significantly changes the way that users interact with both Google Places and AdWords ads. In the long run, any site that takes a well rounded approach to search marketing, integrating SEO, local optimization, and PPC, will continue to perform well.
- Around the Analytics World February Wrap-up Sat, February 28, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Hotel Robot Staff, Towel Crime Fighting, and Rent your own Island! Fri, February 20, 2015
- Friday Fuel: OTA Takeovers & Movie Makeovers Fri, February 13, 2015
- The Southeast’s Most Romantic Travel Destinations Wed, February 11, 2015
- Friday Fuel: 50 Shades of Awesome Fri, February 06, 2015
- Around the Analytics World January Wrap-up Mon, February 02, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Release the WiFi, Meet Castro, and 7 more exciting links! Fri, January 30, 2015
- The Basics to Facebook Advertising Tue, January 27, 2015
- Facebook Marketing For Hotels Fri, January 23, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Better Late Than Never Edition Mon, January 19, 2015
- Around the Analytics World December Wrap-up Wed, December 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: MOAR MOBILE. And More. Fri, December 19, 2014
- The Hotel SERP Real Estate Game Mon, December 08, 2014
- The 2014 Top 5 “Must Have” Techie Gift Guide Tue, December 02, 2014
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014