If Thomas Edison Were to Run PPC…
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison
If Thomas Edison were to run PPC what approach do you think he would take? Would he wait until a campaign stabilizes or would he constantly push the envelope with the hopes of getting better.
Attention given to a PPC account can produce diminishing returns. At first the account has to gather data, then we optimize. Then the account expands until it reaches a optimal size and spend. We can get a nearly perfect keyword list and a nearly perfect campaign structure... but not everything can be perfect.
But there is one component that can never be perfect... your ads. This is why we continually look to test every possible ad idea imaginable. They all shine, which ad shines the brightest? If Thomas Edison was running PPC, he'd test 10,000 ads before he landed on his best ads. We tend to agree.
Now there is a limitation to this metaphor. Obviously while Edison was looking for the perfect variation of carbon filament to complete his design of the light bulb, the light bulb did not work at all. With PPC, the account is working already, the only question is, how brightly can that account shine?
- Around the Analytics World September Wrap-up Tue, September 30, 2014
- Device Types And How They Are Being Used Mon, September 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Silence is a luxury, another OTA hits the scene, and Microsoft shows its dongle. Fri, September 26, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Google Knows What You’re Watching, Data Breaches, And The Tiniest Hotels Ever Fri, September 19, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: August 2014 Thu, September 18, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Robo Butlers, Chilly Cruise Ships, and Windows 9 Fri, September 12, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Turn Down For Tech Fri, September 05, 2014
- Around the Analytics World August Wrap-up Fri, September 05, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Amazon Twitched, Apple Teases, and China Levels Up Fri, August 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Nooks, Bings and Cyborg Moths Oh My! Fri, August 22, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: July 2014 Thu, August 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: The Robot Sharknado Edition Fri, August 01, 2014
- Around the Analytics World July Wrap-up Thu, July 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: In-App Purchases, New SHIELD Tablet, How Adblock Can Protect You, and More Fri, July 25, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Google+ Gets Better, Microsoft’s Nokia Changes, Amazon Releases, Tesla’s Reveal & More! Fri, July 18, 2014
- Are You CASL Compliant? Wed, July 16, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Google, Amazon, and the Worlds Largest Flying Bird Fri, July 11, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: June 2014 Fri, July 11, 2014