If Thomas Edison Were to Run PPC…
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison
If Thomas Edison were to run PPC what approach do you think he would take? Would he wait until a campaign stabilizes or would he constantly push the envelope with the hopes of getting better.
Attention given to a PPC account can produce diminishing returns. At first the account has to gather data, then we optimize. Then the account expands until it reaches a optimal size and spend. We can get a nearly perfect keyword list and a nearly perfect campaign structure... but not everything can be perfect.
But there is one component that can never be perfect... your ads. This is why we continually look to test every possible ad idea imaginable. They all shine, which ad shines the brightest? If Thomas Edison was running PPC, he'd test 10,000 ads before he landed on his best ads. We tend to agree.
Now there is a limitation to this metaphor. Obviously while Edison was looking for the perfect variation of carbon filament to complete his design of the light bulb, the light bulb did not work at all. With PPC, the account is working already, the only question is, how brightly can that account shine?
- Around the Analytics World February Wrap-up Sat, February 28, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Hotel Robot Staff, Towel Crime Fighting, and Rent your own Island! Fri, February 20, 2015
- Friday Fuel: OTA Takeovers & Movie Makeovers Fri, February 13, 2015
- The Southeast’s Most Romantic Travel Destinations Wed, February 11, 2015
- Friday Fuel: 50 Shades of Awesome Fri, February 06, 2015
- Around the Analytics World January Wrap-up Mon, February 02, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Release the WiFi, Meet Castro, and 7 more exciting links! Fri, January 30, 2015
- The Basics to Facebook Advertising Tue, January 27, 2015
- Facebook Marketing For Hotels Fri, January 23, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Better Late Than Never Edition Mon, January 19, 2015
- Around the Analytics World December Wrap-up Wed, December 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: MOAR MOBILE. And More. Fri, December 19, 2014
- The Hotel SERP Real Estate Game Mon, December 08, 2014
- The 2014 Top 5 “Must Have” Techie Gift Guide Tue, December 02, 2014
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014