If You Knew How to Fix a Toilet, You Wouldn’t Call a Plumber
Broken Toilet Scenario 1:
Your toilet backs up. You have two options. Call a plumber, or attempt to fix it yourself risking a possible disgusting disaster. You make the smart choice and call the plumber. While this costs money, you are smart and realize that the time and effort you are saving by hiring someone that is qualified to fix your problem is well worth it. True, you may have been able to fix it yourself, but you also may have made it much (much) worse.
Remember this scenario when choosing an ad agency, and use the same mindset. You run a successful business. You are a smart and capable businessman. You realize that your business could get more exposure so you do your research and hire an equally smart and capable ad agency to assist in promoting your business.
Once you hire said agency, and they prove to you that they actually do know what they are talking about, let them do their job. You hired them for a reason. Remember that. Yes, you are the client and you have every right to be informed and involved in the decision process, but also know that this is not your expertise and that your agency really does want the best for you.
Trust your agency. If you find yourself questioning their methods, ask questions as opposed to taking matters into your own hands. Any good agency will welcome your criticism and be more than happy to explain the reasoning behind their methods.
Broken Toilet Scenario 2:
So, you call the plumber. He shows up and fixes your toilet. Bright and shiny and new! You then decide that you can do a better job and you shove and armadillo in the tank. That should do it!
DO NOT DO THIS. By undertaking a task yourself that you may think is the right thing to do, you could do some serious damage. Loss of revenue, poor strategy changes, or at the very least, make more work for your agency to spend time fixing things, that they would have been spending making you more money. Always ask questions. Chances are, there are very good reasons that they are doing what they are doing, you just may not understand. Knowledge is power. And power is for rangers.
- Around the Analytics World September Wrap-up Tue, September 30, 2014
- Device Types And How They Are Being Used Mon, September 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Silence is a luxury, another OTA hits the scene, and Microsoft shows its dongle. Fri, September 26, 2014
- Friday Fuel - Google Knows What You’re Watching, Data Breaches, And The Tiniest Hotels Ever Fri, September 19, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: August 2014 Thu, September 18, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Robo Butlers, Chilly Cruise Ships, and Windows 9 Fri, September 12, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Turn Down For Tech Fri, September 05, 2014
- Around the Analytics World August Wrap-up Fri, September 05, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Amazon Twitched, Apple Teases, and China Levels Up Fri, August 29, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Nooks, Bings and Cyborg Moths Oh My! Fri, August 22, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: July 2014 Thu, August 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: The Robot Sharknado Edition Fri, August 01, 2014
- Around the Analytics World July Wrap-up Thu, July 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: In-App Purchases, New SHIELD Tablet, How Adblock Can Protect You, and More Fri, July 25, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Google+ Gets Better, Microsoft’s Nokia Changes, Amazon Releases, Tesla’s Reveal & More! Fri, July 18, 2014
- Are You CASL Compliant? Wed, July 16, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Google, Amazon, and the Worlds Largest Flying Bird Fri, July 11, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: June 2014 Fri, July 11, 2014