The Ten Commandments of SEM 2.0
May, 31, 2008
Naturally, our star this time is not Ramses, but Moses... (Charlton Heston style)
If you read about my SEM 2.0 Pyramid, you may have noticed the references to and picture of Yul Brenner from the classic movie, The Ten Commandments.
It hit me a few days after publishing that, that there's a perfect way to extend the theme of the post and go into more detail.
That's right, it's...
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SEM 2.0
- Thou shalt test everything everywhere; test thy messages, offers, and appeals in social media, on thy site, in thy ads, and in thy search listings.
- Thou shalt win friends and influence people via Social Media; thou shalt turn competitors into allies via networking and SM.
- Thou shalt not beg, cajole, or threaten people to give you links for thy networking and value surely shalt bring thee more links (blessed are the poor in links who deserve more links)
- Thou shalt create valuable content and useful tools that people will want to use, link to, and share.
- Thou shalt use analytics to discover which keywords, placements, ads, offers, and audiences get thee the results thou needest most.
- Thou shalt use lessons from each of these three channels: social media, SEO, and PPC to doest better in the other two.
- Thou shalt use thy seo wisdom on landing pages to increase thy PPC quality score.
- Thou shalt re-optimize and re-strategize based on clues provided to thee by thy analytics.
- Thou shalt monitor what people are saying about thee, stay up to date on thy competition, and watch for new competitors.
- Thou shalt attain wisdom from pre-internet marketing and PR books and teachers and test them in thy SEM efforts.
And finally, thou shalt not argue about whether there is any sense to the order of these 10 commandments. Because there ain't.