Warn Google! TwitterSpam Memes Could Game Search Rankings
Wow I feel like I'm on the bleeding edge right now. I was checking out tweme.com, which has only been around for three months, and I noticed a weird tag in the tagcloud that was getting a lot of attention, GoodPeople. It's retweeting anything with the #goodpeople tweme tag in it- I don't know if this is an error, or a clever new type of spam.
Whether it was intentional or not, someone could do this on purpose. I call the phenomenon a speme (spam meme). On tweme.com is that a bunch of links get created, and though tweme.com currently is not the most powerful website to get SEO backlinks from, arguably any backlinks are good, and these are not nofollow links. The tweme creator might want to consider making some of them nofollows.
(more below about the Google implications after I throw out some new twitter words...)
Speme and Twitterisms
The speme word made me realize there's quite a bit of twitterism that goes on- twitterism is itself a twitterism- my word for a new word created in the twitterverse. Here are some examples that I and others have contributed to urban dictionary:
Speme Spam from Tweme in Google?
In any case, twitter is getting indexed quite well by Google, and as a whitehat SEO professional, I expect this will be gamed in some way by somebody quite soon. The whole twitter API + programming leading to retweets plus lots of new twitter-related sites like twemes going viral and getting super popular in just weeks means a whole new crop of spam for Google.
Plus, all the twitterisms means a lot of new keywords that aren't tough to rank on. It's the wild west again- lots of new keywords to mine! Pretty exciting no matter what color SEO hat you wear.
In any case, the twitterverse is moving pretty fast- I can't anticipate how people might game it and spam Google, and I'm not going to try because that will just give black hatters more ideas!
- The Basics to Facebook Advertising Tue, January 27, 2015
- Facebook Marketing For Hotels Fri, January 23, 2015
- Friday Fuel: Better Late Than Never Edition Mon, January 19, 2015
- Around the Analytics World December Wrap-up Wed, December 31, 2014
- Friday Fuel: MOAR MOBILE. And More. Fri, December 19, 2014
- The Hotel SERP Real Estate Game Mon, December 08, 2014
- The 2014 Top 5 “Must Have” Techie Gift Guide Tue, December 02, 2014
- Creating Dynamite Emails Mon, November 24, 2014
- Amazon’s OTA, New Hilton & Marriott Fees, and Airbnb Protection Program Fri, November 21, 2014
- Internet Marketing Summit 2014 Key Takeaways Fri, November 14, 2014
- Google Removes Local Carousel For Hotels Fri, November 14, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Tinder for Hotels, Nano-Robot Scallops, and Virtual Balconies at Sea Fri, November 07, 2014
- Myrtle Beach Industry Overview: September 2014 Thu, October 30, 2014
- Friday Fuel - The Do’s and Don’ts of 2015, Hilton Rebrands Itself, TripAdvisor & Moon Travel Fri, October 24, 2014
- Is your Resort Talking to its Guests? Mon, October 13, 2014
- Friday Fuel – Hilton’s Big Sale, Last Minute Bookings, Hotel Reviews & Google News Fri, October 10, 2014
- Friday Fuel: Marriot Gets in Trouble & Mobile Payments Gain Momentum Fri, October 03, 2014
- Around the Analytics World September Wrap-up Tue, September 30, 2014